Employers to benefit from welding program
Employers need welders.
There are major labour shortages across the skill trades, particularly in welding and many companies are struggling to find the workers they need. Maybe this describes your company.
In response to the need for welders in the labour market, the Workforce Planning board of Grand Erie is running a new FREE WELDING TRAINING program called Skills2Advance Welding. This short-term training is being offered in partnership with the Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) Foundation, four area colleges and other training providers.
We invite businesses who need welders to partner with us.
There are two main ways to benefit from being an employer partner: businesses can send their existing employees for this free training, or they can hire graduates of the program. Or both.
Learn more here: https://www.skills2advance.com/employers-welding
About the program
Skills2Advance is a 2-week training program:
- The first week of the program will be an introduction to welding, with hands-on training in core welding techniques. Participants can get their Fillet Weld Certificate from CWB. This one-week training will hopefully determine if the participants have the aptitude and interest to continue in the welding trade.
- The second week will see participants gain training in forklift, reach truck, first aid, CPR and more. There is also a strong emphasis on soft skills such as workplace communication, teamwork, problem solving and conflict resolution.
This second week of training is optional for participants who are referred by their employers for skills uptraining.
Skills2Advance Welding offers two streams of training, called Mind Over Metal and Women of Steel.
The training is the same for each program, but Women of Steel allows women to learn welding alongside other women. It is part of an effort to get more women into the trades, helping to address the labour shortage employers are facing. See our website https://www.skills2advance.com/ for more information.
As a local welding employer, you can get involved by:
- Referring current (non-welding or less experienced) employees who have an interest in welding to see if they have the aptitude to pursue welding as a trade
- Becoming a guest speaker for one or more of our classes, giving you an opportunity to promote your opportunities
- Being on our advisory committee to help inform the program and provide input into training
By becoming an employer partner, businesses get the advantage of continuously being able to send any new or existing employees for the free training through our program. Employer partners also get first chance to review graduates of the program who are looking to find work or continue their welding education.
There are many benefits to employers who get involved, including:
- Get skilled & entry-level ready workers
- Lower cost of training
- Fill vacant positions more quickly
- Skilled2Advance Welding is FREE
In late May, we will be having a virtual Information Session via Zoom that will serve as an orientation session for any businesses and organizations that are interested in getting involved. Contact us if you want to be notified about the Information Session details.
Any questions about the program can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-756-1116, ext. 223 or text Mikki at 519-732-4068